Lip Augmentation with Dermal Fillers
Not everyone can have lips like Angelina Jolie. But something in the middle would be nice. Whether due to the volume loss that comes with aging, or because of simple genetics, many of us have thin, shapeless lips.
Lip augmentation is nothing new. In the past, people have used collagen, silicone and fat injections. But increasingly it’s dermal fillers that are the augmentation method of choice. Compared with collagen, silicone and fat, dermal fillers are much safer and provide more predictable results. At Lux Skin Lasers we only use hyaluronic acid fillers for lip augmentation since long-term safety and patient care is our utmost priority.
Hyaluronic Acid and the Lips
In our Lux Skin & Lasers, we primarily use Allergan filler products - the #1 filler company in the world. We only use hyaluronic acid products, which is a naturally occurring substance in the body that is responsible for hydrating and “plumping” the skin. Hyaluronic acid binds with water molecules to do this. That’s what makes these fillers perfect for the lips, as that hydration naturally plumps the lips.
At Lux, we use primarily Juvéderm family of products for lip augmentation. Juvéderm was the first dermal filler line to specifically target lip volume with Juvéderm Ultra XC. Ultra is the most popular lip filler product and provides noticeable long-lasting results that our patients appreciate- typically 9 to 12 months. Restylane Silk is also a popular choice for lip augmentation and Restylane Kysse is the newest addition to the line. However, the very noticeable swelling that our patients notice after Restylane treatments tend to sway our providers away from using the product and prefer Juvederm.
What Are the Benefits of Using Hyaluronic Acid for Lip Augmentation?
At Lux Skin & Lasers we ONLY use hyaluronic acids fillers to add shape, structure, and volume to the lips. These are the benefits of these fillers:
- Control over volume — The amount of filler being injected can be precisely controlled to manage the increased volume.
- Gradual increase — So that the results don’t overwhelm, patients often opt to have very gradual increases made over a series of appointments, rather than a large increase in a single visit.
- Bumps dissolve — Because hyaluronic acid can be dissipated with an injection of an enzyme, bumps and lumps can be easily removed.
- Less swelling and bruising — These fillers are gentler on the patient.
- Unlikely allergic reactions — Because hyaluronic acid naturally occurs in the human body, these fillers very rarely cause any sort of allergic reaction.
What Are Some Lip Features that Can Be Changed?
At Lux, our goal with lip augmentation is unique to each patient. You may want to erase some vertical lip lines. Or you may want to make your lips more symmetrical. Or maybe you simply want plumper, more kissable lips!
These are some specific areas Dr. Castelli considers with lip augmentation:
- Cupid’s bow — This is the name of the area in the middle of your upper lip. This is thought to be the focus of the lips, and we add definition here.
- Center fullness — Signature lip beauty means they are fuller in the center, tapering off at the corners.
- Profile projection — When viewed from the side, your upper lip should project slightly above your lower lip.
- Side-to-side symmetry — Augmentation can balance asymmetrical lips.
Lip Augmentation Before And After
Are Dermal Fillers Safe for Lip Augmentation?
The fillers we use for lip augmentation at Lux Skin Lasers have been approved by the FDA specifically for use on the lips. To gain these FDA approvals, manufacturers had to prove both the safety and the effectiveness of these fillers.
The main side effect/risk with dermal filler lip augmentation is redness and swelling at the injection sites. This usually lasts a day or so but is not severe. There can also be some mild bruising, but it can easily be covered with lipstick or makeup. To minimize any swelling or bruising, gently icing your lips immediately after your session is helpful. There is a chance of developing lumps, but that is rare and can be reversed immediately with an injection of an enzyme that neutralizes the hyaluronic acid.
Will I Have Recovery after Having Lip Augmentation?
Lip augmentation with dermal fillers does not entail any recovery. You will express noticeable swelling for approximately one week and feel your tissue expand and feel some tightness. Continuous hydration and icing during the initial few days after the treatment will help you feel more comfortable.
How Long Will My Results Last after Lip Augmentation?
Juvéderm Ultra XC add volume and shape to your lips for up to one year. Restylane Silk and Kysse adds volume for about six months.
What Is a Lip Augmentation Session Like?
Our providers typically schedule the lip sessions for approximately 30 minutes to provide ample time to discuss your desired outcome, to set realistic goals and expectations. We are honest of what can and can not be achieved. We will make every effort to make the treatment as comfortable as it can be. We first numb your lips with Lidocaine. Then we inject the chosen dermal filler with a very fine needle into various areas of your lips and behind any wrinkles above your upper lip. All our providers are highly experienced with lip injection treatments and lip enhancement is Dr. Castelli's favorite treatment- he loves the expression of his client's faces when he shows them their results. After your session, you can get right back to work or your other normal activities, other then strenuous exercise which you should avoid for few days.
How Much Does a Lip Augmentation Cost?
Our providers have different techniques and aesthetics but they all agree that "natural" is the best look. You do NOT want your lips to be the central feature of your face, you want it to be balanced and compliment your features. Here are descriptions of various methods and costs you can expect to pay with our providers:
- Dr. Lee performs ALL his fillers using the micro-cannula(considered the most advanced technique) and provides a more smoother, less lumpy appearance. However, there is a limitation to this method- you can not rotate nor define/shape. This method is good for overall fullness and natural results. *Pricing for Dr. Lee is $950 for one syringe of filler.
- Dr. Castelli and our PA/nurse providers perform the standard needle and also the "Russian Doll" technique. This method allows for more definition, outlining and can evert the lip upward. There will be more needle pricks and bruising can occur more frequently but usually subside within one week. *Pricing for Dr. Castelli and our other providers is $700 for one syringe of lip filler.
Once the swelling goes down and if you desire more fullness, please call our office to schedule another filler treatment. Please wait at least one month in between the treatment to allow the lip tissue to expand to hold more product. A staged treatment plan is optimal for patients who desire a more noticeable result.